About Federal Skilled Worker Program
The Federal Skilled Workers Program is aimed to select prospective international skilled workers for permanent residency in Canada. The person must have sufficient work experience relevant to the in-demand occupations in Canada, sufficient language proficiency skills and academic skills to be eligible for the program.
Over the last two years, the Federal Skilled Workers Program draw has been put on hold due to the pandemic, and is expected to resume anytime in 2022 with eased international travel restrictions and the election of new immigation minister in Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for Federal Skilled Worker
Given below are the mandatory requirements for a person to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker program:
- At least one year of work experience within the last 10 years in any one of the NOC jobs related to managerial positions, professional jobs, and/or technical jobs & skilled trades.
- The person must have either minimum one year of full-time continuous work experience or an equivalent amount of paid part-time work experience.
- Work experience gained during studies will be counted if it is a paid work & continuous without any gap.
- A minimum of CLB 7 in all four language abilities of the English or French language assessment tests. Also, the score validity must be at least 2 years old from the date of PR application.
- A completed foreign education duly assessed by a designated organization for educational credential assessment demonstrating the equivalence of the degree to that in Canada.
- Either point 5 or a certificate, diploma, or degree from a high school or post-secondary institution in Canada.
- Sufficient financial ability to sustain in Canada along with family unless you have a job offer or can legally work in Canada.
- Person must not be barred from entering Canada on the grounds of security reasons, human rights violations, organized crime, medical reasons, or more.
- The application must be submitted for any province or territory in Canada except Quebec.
Calculating Points for Federal Skilled Worker
Similar to the other express entry programs, the federal skilled worker stream works on the points system assigning points to the candidate on the basis of the following factors : Age, Language, Work Experience, Education, Arranged Employment in Canada, and Adaptability.
1. Age: A candidate gets a maximum of 12 points based on his or her age, which gradually reduces as he or she crosses 35 years of age.
|Age ||Points |
|Below 18 || 0 |
| 18 to 35 ||12 |
| 36 || 11 |
| 37 || 10 |
| 38 || 9 |
| 39 || 8 |
| 40 || 7 |
| 41 || 6 |
| 42 || 5 |
| 43 || 4 |
| 44 || 3 |
| 45 || 2 |
| 46 || 1 |
| 47 and above || 0 |
2. Language: A candidate needs to demonstrate his or her ability to be proficient in Canada official languages like English or French by achieving required results for Government authorized tests like IELTS, CELPIP, and TEF. The candidate can get a maximum of 28 points by scoring highest points in all four language abilities of the test.
Individuals who have completed their education in Canada must have a certificate, degree, or diploma from a post-secondary or secondary institution in Canada. On the other hand, those having foreign education must submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an authorized organization to show their degree is equivalent to a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate. A candidate can get a maximum of 25 points for education as given below:
|Qualification ||Points |
| PhD or equivalent University Degree || 25 |
| Masters Degree || 23 |
| Double Bachelors’ Degree || 22 |
| Bachelors’ Degree || 21 |
| 3 Years Diploma after Higher Secondary || 19 |
| 3 Years Diploma after High School || 15 |
| High School || 5 |
4. Work Experience:
As mentioned above in eligibility criteria, a candidate must have a minimum of 1 year of full-time or equivalent part time experience in any of the occupations related to Skills levels 0, A, or B of the National Occupation Classification. Points for work experience is calculated by considering whether the candidate worked in Canada or abroad, worked while studying, or was self-employed. The below table shows maximum points a candidate can earn with work experience.
|Years of Experience ||Points |
| 1 || 9 |
| 2 to 3 Years || 11 |
| 4 to 5 Years || 13 |
| 6 and More Years || 15 |
5. Arranged Employment in Canada: Express entry candidates who have received a valid continuous full-time job offer for at least one year, in NOC skill level 0, A, or B listed occupation, from a Canadian employer can expect to earn some points. However, the individual will get maximum 10 points for the valid job offer provided any of the below given situation is applicable:
- Situation-1: Candidate works in Canada on a work permit based on a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from the Employment and Social Development Canada. The work permit is valid when a PR application is made and the employer has offered a full-time job offer to the candidate.
- Situation-2: Candidate works in Canada in a LMIA exempt job, is on a valid work permit, and is working for the employer who has given him or her the job offer. The job must be under an international agreement, be of significant benefit to Canadian interests, or under a federal-provincial agreement.
- Situation-3: Candidate doesn’t have a work permit nor plans to work in Canada before getting the PR visa. However, the employer must have a LMIA and provide a valid job offer to the candidate based on the LMIA.
- Situation-4: Candidate is working on a LMIA exempt job (not under any agreement nor in specific interest to Canada) on a work permit, and has received a valid job offer from another employer having positive LMIA.
6. Adaptability: Apart from the above mentioned mandatory factors, certain factors like having a blood relative in Canada, previous education or employment for candidate or his/her spouse (or common law partner), and more can earn the applicant more points in express entry profile.
Below given table summarizes the points earned for each adaptability factor
|Factors ||Points |
| Spouse or Common Law Partner having CLB 4 or higher score in all four language abilities of a language proficiency test valid for at least 2 years from date of test result. || 5 |
|At least 2 years of full-time study (15 hours of study) at a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school || |
|Spouse or Common Law Partner has studied full-time for at least 2 years, at a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school || 5 |
|At least 1 year of full time Canadian work experience in a job listed under NOC skill type 0, A, or B, on a valid work permit || 10 |
|Spouse or Common Law Partner has at least 2 years of Canadian work experience in a job listed under NOC skill type 0, A, or B, on a valid work permit || 5 |
|Arranged employment in Canada || 5 |
|A blood relative living in Canada who is a permanent resident or citizen, and is 18 years of above. Blood relatives include parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, candidate or spouse’s sibling, aunt or uncle, nephew, or niece. || 5 |
Gateway Visas as your most trusted Visa Consultant
Despite a multitude of consultants in India offering immigration services catering to different programs, only few stand out with their exceptional services. Gateway Visas, with an expert team of Canada immigration consultants, provide you with an exceptionally dedicated and committed service to help with each step to gain a minimum 67 points for the FSW program.
From assessing your profile for eligibility, helping you with the documents, helping you arrange employment, to providing post-landing services, Gateway Visas is your one-stop destination for all your FSWP needs.
- We will help you evaluate your profile and meet all eligibility requirements.
- We will guide you in updating and preparing your resume as per requirements.
- Our experts will help you in gathering and submitting all required documents.
- We will help you clear your English proficiency exams and get a medical and police clearance certificate.
- We will provide a dedicated case officer who will be your point of contact throughout the process.
- We will also help you settle in your dream country of destination with our customized services.
Contact us now for applying to the FSW program.